BUSINESS FACILITATION - CHINA IPR SME HELPDESK
EU and China
December 2007 – December 2010 (pilot project)
December 2010 – December 2013 (second phase)
The European Commission
Funded by the European Commission under the Competitiveness and Innovation Framework Programme, the China IPR SME Helpdesk launched its second phase in early 2011. Building on the achievements of a pilot project carried out in 2008-10, the China IPR SME Helpdesk will continue to provide free, practical first-line IPR advice and services to European SMEs working in or with China. The project aims to enable European SMEs to make the best IPR decisions for their business, and ensure that the creativity and innovation that SMEs bring to the marketplace remain a cornerstone of European competitiveness. The business-focused Helpdesk advice will be disseminated through an online portal, helpline services, training workshops and seminars, as well as published materials. More information on the China IPR SME Helpdesk is available at www.china-IPRhelpdesk.eu.
WHO will the Helpdesk benefit?
- European SMEs that have already set up operations in China.
- European SMEs that plan to enter the Chinese marketplace by delivering ‘know before you go’ trainings.
- European SMEs that have already experienced IP infringement in China.
HOW will the Helpdesk benefit?
- Helpline services: If SMEs have questions about protecting their IPR in China or about infringement cases, they can contact the Helpdesk’s resident IP Business Advisor, who will provide them with tailored advice.
- IPR Workshops and Events: In partnership with Chambers of Commerce and industry associations, Helpdesk IPR experts will continue to deliver IPR workshops and seminars in Europe and China. Events can be tailored to the needs of individual SME and industry associations, and are planned to be held across all 27 EU Member States over the course of the next three years. In the margin of events, the Helpdesk will offer IPR clinics which provide SMEs with private 20 minutes consultation sessions with IP experts.
- Training Guides and Resources: The Helpdesk regularly produces jargon-free, expert written IP guides, which are disseminated at event and can all be downloaded from the online portal. Building on an existing library of IP or industry specific guides future topics will include emerging industries such as Green Technologies and Creative Industries, as well as guides aimed specifically at SMEs at different stages of setting up their operations.
- Online Portal: The Helpdesk’s multi-lingual web portal is being re-launched with many updates and new features such as regular IP news updates, new E-Learning modules, RSS feed and social networking, an extended case study catalogue for SMEs to learn from other businesses, downloadable copies of new Helpdesk publications and information on upcoming events. Here, SMEs will also still be able to directly submit IPR enquiries to the Helpdesk and receive an expert reply within 7 days.
The China IPR SME Helpdesk is implemented by DEVELOPMENT Solutions in consortium with the European Union Chamber of Commerce in China.