Project Executive - Internship
Job Title: Project Executive – Internship
Location: Brussels, Belgium
DEVELOPMENT Solutions (DS) is a European consultancy serving the international donor and business community in support of sustainable development and sustainable investment objectives, primarily in emerging markets and EU strategic partner countries. Our services focus on technical support for international trade, SME business facilitation, financing for sustainable development and professional training/capacity building. DS’ capabilities are built on a strong grounding in project design and management, complemented by extensive research, policy analysis and capacity building expertise for business and public authorities alike. Further information regarding our projects and portfolio is available at www.development-solutions.eu.
We are currently seeking a highly motivated individual to join our Business Development department to support the design and execution of new project proposals. Field- and desk- based outreach, research and technical writing will be key responsibilities of this role. Strong analytical and writing skills, strategic thinking and organizational skills are sought to support the growing portfolio of the company. Excellent communication skills will be highly valued, given the need for daily cooperation and dialogue with international organizations and project partners.
Internships are paid and are full time during one-year. This is not a short-term or summer internship scheme. A full-time position may be available upon successful completion. Applicants for the Brussels office should have the right to live and work in Belgium, DS is not able to sponsor work permits.
Prospective candidates will preferably have a university degree in public policy, economics, international relations, economic development, or business administration. A specialization in trade is advantageous. The candidate should have a strong passion for work in the public sector, addressing issues in international trade, private sector business facilitation and sustainable development. Excellent written and spoken English is required; additional languages are an asset.
The candidate will demonstrate the following minimum qualities:
- Reliability, initiative, thoroughness and attention to detail
- Highly motivated, hard-working, ambitious and able to adapt to diverse scope of topics and project requirements
- Creative and conceptual thinking abilities to interpret project requirements and present original solutions
- Concise technical writing, data visualization and graphic design skills
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office suite applications
- Familiarity with project proposal and tendering procedures including the preparation of bids is strong advantage
- Experience with EU financing mechanisms and projects a strong advantage
Desired qualities include:
- Experience in tender/proposal design and searching for new opportunities
- Knowledge of EU trade policy and WTO
In addition, through the internship, the candidate will have honed skills in the following areas:
- Experience in project proposal development and writing, including in response to public tenders
- Creative, precise and highly organized writing skills
- Recruitment and fulfilment of expert requirements
- Clear insight into EU public policy approaches to issues at the forefront of international trade and economic development
- Project design and partner relationship management
Interested candidates are encouraged to send an application including CV, cover letter and writing sample (maximum 1,000 words) before 28 February to Hanna Kuula (email@example.com) and Virginia Marantidou (firstname.lastname@example.org). We will be processing applications on a rolling basis. Please indicate “Project Executive – Name Surname” in the subject box. As attention to detail is crucial for this position, only complete applications will be considered.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Junior Graphic Designer
Job title: Junior Graphic Designer (full time)
Location: Brussels, Belgium
DEVELOPMENT Solutions Europe Ltd. (DS) is a European consultancy and serves the international donor and business community in support of EU-funded sustainable development and business facilitation projects, primarily in emerging markets. DS work covers the fields of international trade and economy, environmental conservation and energy efficiency, and business facilitation to SMEs. This expertise is built on our strong grounding in project design and management, research, policy analysis and business, public and government relations. Further information regarding our projects and expertise is available by clicking here.
We are currently looking for a highly-motivated junior level Graphic Designer to join the DS office in Brussels on an initial 12-month fixed term contract with possible renewal based on the performance metrics. Reporting directly to the Project Managers, the person will deliver design outputs of the projects including, but not limited to: design and layout of guides, reports, infographics, leaflets, Social Media graphs, on-line campaigns, website banners and event-related visibility materials, such as invitations, roll-ups, banners, business mission catalogues, etc. Adherence to the European Commission’s Visibility Guidelines is a necessity given the nature of the outputs.
Qualifications - Ideal candidates require:
- Higher education or certification in graphic design and related tools such as Adobe inDesign, Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop;
- Minimum 1 year proven working experience in graphic design;
- Understanding the nature of Social Media visuals and proven experience in designing on-line graphs;
- Advanced understanding of creative work and ability to independently build layouts and design templates for various information and promotion materials;
- Ability to work with limited direction, and capacity to ensure strong coordination with colleagues, as well as strong organisational skills;
- Thoroughness and attention to detail;
- Reliable, highly motivated and hard-working;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and on multiple projects at once;
- Competence in video and audio podcast editing programmes, such as iMovie and Audacity is an advantage;
- Excellent knowledge in spoken and written English.
The Interested candidates are encouraged to send a CV and portfolio or examples of previous work to email@example.com indicating “Graphic Designer in Brussels” in the email heading.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling-basis. In your application please indicate your soonest availability to take up this position. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Project Executive - Trade Sustainability Impact Assessments
Job Title: Project Executive – Trade Sustainability Impact Assessments (SIAs)
Location: Beijing, China
DEVELOPMENT Solutions (DS) is a European consultancy and serves the international donor and business community in support of sustainable development and investments objectives, primarily in emerging markets. Our work covers a wide range of fields described within four company divisions, (i) Trade and Economy, (ii) Energy and Environment, (iii) Business support for small and medium enterprises (SMEs) and (iv) Human Capacities. This expertise is built on our strong grounding in project design and management requiring research, policy analysis, capacity building and business, public and government relations expertise. Further information regarding our projects and expertise is available at www.development-solutions.eu.
DS is leading a consortium implementing Sustainability Impact Assessments (SIAs) in support of free trade agreement (FTA) negotiations between the European Union and the Republic of the Philippines, between the European Union and the Republic of Indonesia, and between the European Union and Malaysia. Following the launch of bilateral FTA negotiations with the Philippines and with Indonesia respectively, and in view of the likely resumption of the bilateral FTA negotiations with Malaysia, DS has been mandated by the European Commission to conduct Trade Sustainability Impact Assessments for the bilateral FTA negotiations with the Philippines, Malaysia, and with Indonesia.
We are currently seeking a highly motivated individual to join our team to support research and technical writing activities for the SIAs team. Prospective candidates will preferably have a Master’s degree in economics, international trade, international relations, political science, environmental sciences and/or law. The candidate should have experience in academic research preferably related to international trade policy and sustainable development initiatives in developing countries. In addition, the candidate should have an excellent command of written and oral English.
The candidate should also possess the following skills/qualities to perform well in this role:
- Strong research, analytical and technical writing skills;
- Ability to present high quality, analytical research in a succinct manner;
- Reliability, initiative, thoroughness and attention to detail;
- Strong coordination and organisational skills;
- Excellent communication skills for interactions with project experts and stakeholders;
- Ability to work independently and meet tight deadlines;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint); and
This is a paid internship for six months, with the possibility of an extension.
Interested candidates are encouraged to send an application including cover letter, CV, and one-page writing sample firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate clearly whether you are currently available for an interview and your current location. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.